"To experience change,
you have to change experience"
The Need For Resilience
Research in psychophysiology reveals that the brain and body don't recognize the difference between imagination and reality. This suggests that when actors experience survival emotions 'in character', their own mental and physical wellbeing are impacted by those experiences. This puts actors at risk of taking on the stress and traumas of their roles, living in chronic fight or flight states, and possibly leading to burnout and other stress related conditions.
What's more, the overarching demands of an acting career put actors at risk to experiencing chronic stress, making it difficult to navigate auditions, performances, training, survival jobs, rejections, and everything else that an actor's life encompasses.
That's where brain training comes in.
Brain training and self-hypnosis tools give actors the freedom to change their brain and body's response to stress, build inner resources, and support their mental and physical wellbeing as they navigate the ups and downs of an acting career.
We offer resilience-informed workshops to help actors face various aspects of their actor life with resilience, ease, and even joy!
- Resilient Auditions: use mental rehearsal to change your relationship with auditions
- Navigating Rejection: embrace rejection with resilience and self-worth
- Resilient Acting: use self-regulation tools to navigate stressful and traumatic roles
- Building Confidence: grow inner resources and confidence in your acting career
- Resilience 101: change the brain and body's response to stress, on and off stage
- Post-Show Blues: gain tools to process and grieve the end of a beloved project and say goodbye to a character
The modalities used in workshops include (but are not limited to):
- Practitioner-led hypnosis (for groups + individual actors)
- Guided imagery & visualization
- Laughter yoga
- Guided meditation
- Breathing techniques
- Mind-body movement practices
- Installation (from Positive Neuroplasticity)
Bring Resilience to your Group!
We offer Resilient Actor workshops to casts, theatre education programs, acting studios, or any group of actors wanting to find more resilience in their career!Get in touch!
Meet Your Guide
Emilie Leyes (she/they) is a NYC-based actor, singer, brain training specialist, and hypnosis practitioner.
She holds a B.A. in Acting and Vocal Performance from Muhlenberg College. For the last 4+ years, she has been researching the intersections of neuroplasticity, acting, and psychophysiology (mind-body connection). She is certified in Positive Neuroplasticity and Positive Psychology, and is formally trained in clinical hypnosis. She is currently on track to receive a Masters and PhD in Mind-Body Medicine at Saybrook University, where she is researching resilience and self-directed mind-body practices for actors.